I have sold items on eBay before and had good luck. A few days ago, I listed my antique hat pin collection which included 6 sets of hat pins in porcelain hat pin holders. I listed them rather cheaply because if the cost is too high, people will just not pay attention. If the price is attractive, I get more views. Anyway, I listed the hat pin holders as “Limoges China” which is what is written on the bottom and signifies these are a reproduction of the original Haviland Limoges from France (I Googled all this before I listed them). If they had been the real French Limoges, they certainly would have been more than the $10.00 (including pins). They would have been more like $100.00. I have a number of people watching the bidding and even have bids on two of them.
Then I get a message from some lady in Wyoming that says they are all fake and not legal to sell on eBay because they are not authentic. This person has not bought or sold anything on eBay (the number of items traded is always listed after the sellers name). She continues to tell me she is an expert on Limoges and these are illegal. I wrote back that they were from China which was in the description and nothing was said they were original but listed as reproductions from China. She wrote again they were “illegal” and against eBay rules. I asked her nicely to not send any more messages and my description was exactly what they were. Also, there are a whole bunch of the others listed on eBay identical to mine. So, then she writes back that she will turn me over to the fraud department at eBay and “let them handle you.” Just to make sure there was no misunderstanding, I wrote the two people that had bid and told them what happened and they both said they did not care where the holders were from. They wanted the pins and were not particularly interested in the holders. Just to make everything really clear, I changed the description to say “Hat Pins and Holders” only – no mention of Limoges China. I also filed a complaint with eBay.
This left a bad taste about trying to sell more items on eBay. I don’t know what her problem is with me and she is probably contacting all the other people selling the same thing listed as “Limoges China”. I guess we will just wait and see what happens. I can understand eBay being careful with people selling true “knock offs” like advertising a Chanel bag and it being fake. I advertised mine as being a reproduction from China and it’s listed that way. And the price! One of them includes the holder and 10 very long antique hat pins for $25.00. Just one of the hat pins would sell for that. Trust me, if it was the real Limoges, the price would be more like $250.00.
My “Rules” for selling on eBay:
- Don’t sell anything under $10.00. It is just not worth the pictures, the listing, answering questions, packaging and shipping if it’s under $10.00 even with shipping charges extra.
- Do not use “Buy it Now”. It seems lately that most of the items are “Buy It Now” meaning there is no bidding. The buyer pays what the seller is asking. These prices are usually incredibly high. I have put a number of them on my “watch list” just to check out the traffic, and the majority don’t sell. The seller will just list it again and sometimes under another name.
- List for only 7 days. If it doesn’t sell in 7 days, it goes to charity. Listing for weeks will not help sell it.
- Have one picture, maybe two if the manufacturer name is a selling feature. I see no need in posting a whole bunch of pictures for a little item. If a buyer has questions, they ask!
- Short description. I have found eBay buyers look through hundreds and thousands of items. They usually look at the picture and the description line. Most don’t take the time to read a long description.
- Ship as quickly after being paid as possible. Your customers will comment and give better feedback for quick shipments. Package well.
- Always leave feedback!!
I am going to see how the next round of items sell. If I have more “grief” than “luck”, I will just donate all the rest of it. I only wanted to make enough for a new camera!!